[This originally appeared on my dev2dev blog 9-Nov-2007]
The WLS Admin Console is not yet using an ajax library but it does do a few asynchronous things with an iframe. The iframe had the src attribute pointing to an empty html file. I didn’t like this wasteful and pointless round trip to the server so I removed the src attribute.
Then someone testing over SSL on IE6 rightly complained that the browser was giving a “This page contains both secure and nonsecure items” warning message.
Turns out that IE6 has a problem with iframes without the src attribute. This has been fixed in IE7. Some people recommend always using a src attribute but I’m trying to squeeze every bit of performance I can out of Console.
Now the only solution I know of is to dynamically add the iframe to the document with a src attribute. I’m now doing this
and it works fine]